Lets start with the following statement “I despise camping”. Which is odd considering I actually worked for Coleman for seven years and am a Boy Scout leader and as a result camp out at least a weekend a month and one entire week of every year.
Not only adventure riders do motorcycle camping. Camping is a big part of Sturgis and events like March Moto Madness.
The following items are things that I have found that work for me:
- Have a friend with a trailer, camper you can crash in.
- Stay in a hotel / motel.
- Rent a cabin.
If none of that works then CAMP…
Pack less not more – here are the bare minimal items your bike will thank you and its less stuff to track down. Remember that a 2 person tent typically only fits 1 person with some stuff.
- Tent – Marmot Limelight 2P
- Sleeping bag – Eureka Cheyenne compression sleeping bag
- Eating utensil – Snow Peak titanium spork
- Hydration/water bag -Assuming you have a hydration pack as part of your bike kit for hauling water
- Bathing – MSR camp towel or pack of wet wipes
- sleeping comfort – self inflating air mat
- Food – Mountain House dehydrated food works very well
- Stove – Snow Peak GigaPower Stove with Piezo (make sure it has a piezo)
- Camp kitchen – GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist or Pinnacle Soloist
- you wont need blankets – use your jacket
- Pillow – I use the Sea to Summit Aeros Premium Deluxe Pillow
If your going to camp at the same place all week you can always add more items like a REI camp Chair. But this is assuming just a day or two and not wanting to overload the bike with all the riches of home. When Motorbike camping I always make sure I have plenty of Rum and Cigars but that’s your call.